My family and friends most likely laughed at loud when they saw the title of this post. I have a chronic case of overpacking (“but Mom I NEED to bring 4 extra shirts…. I need options!”). However, I’m taking a trip with a suitcase size limit, so I’ve accepted the challenge and am pretty proud of my progress. Stay tuned for more traveling posts.
1. Separate Toiletries and Makeup
Use two bags to divide your toiletries and makeup. It not only makes getting ready easier, but I always carry my makeup in my carry on bag for easy access and so I don’t lose it. It really just makes everything easier.
2. Travel Bottles
This may be a no brainer for most people. I put all of my shampoo/conditioner/cleanser into labeled travel sized (TSA approved) bottles. It saves so much room and allows for hassle free travel. I found a couple of sets from Target that have every type of container a girl could possibly need and they come with labels. It’s the little things.
3. Simple Makeup
Unless I have a special event, I try to bring the bare minimum when it comes to makeup. Tip: Try to avoid bringing anything in a pan. Makeup powders crack easily, so to avoid a NARS Laguna explosion this is the time you need to become best friends with cream everything.
My travel essentials:
- Urban Decay “All Nighter” Setting Spray : This guarantees 16 hours of perfect makeup, a jet setter’s best friend.
- Makeup Forever Aqua Cream in “Warm Beige”: This eyeshadow/highlighter lasts all day and is very pigmented. The best part? Eyeshadow without a brush aka one less thing to pack!
- Maybelline Gel Eye Liner: Gel liner is the way to go when on the go. I love the way it looks and it lasts ALL DAY (I’m serious).
- NARS Multiple in Riviera : I am a huge cream blush fan and the NARS Multiple is perfect for on the go. No brush needed, just dot the color across your cheek and blend.
- Dr. Pepper Bonne Bill Lip Smackers : An old favorite. The scent isn’t too overpowering (but certainly nostalgic) and gives your lips a rosy tint. It’s cost effective and is small enough to fit anywhere.
- Oh and whatever you do, DO NOT BRING NAIL POLISH. No…just no.
4. Hair Tools
Hotels generally have hair dryers, which usually does the trick for me. However, always check their website to make sure you don’t need to pack one.
Every woman on earth needs a Travalo. The days of attempting to transport perfume bottles from place to place are over thanks to this tiny wonder. You simply put a little bit of your favorite scent in the little container and off you go! It’s small enough to carry with you anywhere (I keep mine in my makeup bag).