Confession: I have never gotten a gel manicure. While some of my friends swear by them, most of my friends and family have had such horrible experiences with gel I vowed to steer clear. I have small and brittle nails and I fear the harmful process will destroy them. I ignored all of the at home gel lamps because they seemed like a waste of money, but one at home gel set caught my eye.
The Deborah Lippmann Gel Lab set contains a base coat and a top coat and does not require a lamp. Needless to say, I was sold at “no lamp necessary.” I immediately went home to test it out, hoping it would live up to my expectations. It’s really pathetic to be in love with a nail product, but I am. My manicure lasted through a golf tournament (which takes a serious toll on your nails) and remained super shiny for almost a week. It fulfills 2.5/3 of its claims: long-wear, high-shine and it dries quickly, but I still use my Sally Hansen quick-dry drops. So let’s recap, shall we?
- The $45 price tag seems a little excessive. However, if you are a gel manicure addict, that’s 2 manicures.
- It lasts for several days (on my nails, that might as well be three
- High-shine. My nails look as if I went to the salon for a gel manicure.
- You do not have to only use a Deborah Lippmann polish. They “recommend” it, but I’ve tried it with Essie and OPI polishes and it works just as well.
- For best results, wait one minute between each coat.
- Remove like you would a normal manicure. No harsh chemical soaks needed!
Overall Grade: A